Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Little foxes 1: Lies vs Truths

Hi Christoggers!

I love ceremonies - at least, those have some significance. Although I am not an American, I enjoyed watching the inaugural ceremony of President Obama for his second term in office. 

There was a statement he made with reference to the pledge he took in which he emphasized that his oath was not to party, (his political party) but to God and country. This basically meant that his duties were not to please 'man' but to please God. This got me thinking because earlier on in the day, I had a discussion with one of my sisters about being obedient to God. Dis-obedience is simply disobeying even when we try and colour it. For example, I'm sure you've heard of a 'white' lie being told. I never knew there was a variety of colours available to choose from! It's the same with 'half-truths'. What, the truth has different measurements? According to whose yardstick?

The point is this: we sometimes disobey God because the fear of man seems to pose a bigger threat to us. We cannot see God in the physical and therefore think it's okay for now - we'll repent later! No! When we consciously commit sin, we express our disregard for God. Would you drive through a red traffic light? I hope not. Our regard or respect for the law of the land may be due to fear of the repercautions if we go against them but that's not the reason these laws were put into place. In the same way, our respect and obedience to God should not be based on fear nor the favour we desire from him but on love.

Yes, loving God is obeying him but at what cost? The answer is simple though not always easy - at all cost! Do I choose to tell the truth and risk losing my job when I tell my boss that I overslept and therefore got to work two hours late or do I make up a story... Do I show integrity by not being a false witness or do I seek group approval and join others in the tale of the twisted truth? Do I tell the police officer that I did see and go through a red light or claim it was on amber as I drove through?

If we believe that God is omnipresent, then guess what - he is there when 
we decide to tell little white, red or blue lies as well as half-truths, quarter truths and so on. God does not give us pat on the back because we really tried hard though we could only manage a half-truth! I find it interesting that even in the court of law, a witness is sworn in and has to declare to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth! One would have imagined that 'to tell the truth' was all that was needed. This is a reflection of how we, as human beings think.

As the love of God is so pure, so is his character. This is the character we must try very hard to take on and reflect. The world sees God through you and I and what they see is what they believe our God is like. Let's honour God by reflecting his true character. There is ONLY one truth and that is what we speak. Little lies and half-truths are foundations for the Devil to build on and these are certainly not for us! We build our lives on truth because it never changes through the ages. Psalm 15:1-2 gives us a good reason for abiding in truth:


 Lord, who shall dwell [temporarily] in Your tabernacle? Who shall dwell [permanently] on Your holy hill?

He who walks and lives uprightly and blamelessly, who works rightness and justice and speaks and thinks the truth in his heart... (Amplified Bible)
.............................................................................................................................
PRAYER: Dear Lord, please help me to realise that you are truth and all who abide in you must also be truthful, in Jesus' name, Amen.
.........................................................................................
 (P.S. If this article has blessed you, do share it with someone.)

Till next week, keep on walking in Christ.

Yorz-in-Christ,
Lahyorz

No comments:

Post a Comment