Wednesday, 9 January 2013

The true foundation

Hi Christoggers!

It's so nice to have a wonderful beginning but it unfortunately does not guarantee a good ending. Before I accepted Jesus as my Lord and saviour, I was in the christian faith. I did the usual things: I attended Sunday church services, celebrated Easter and Christmas, went to church for the midnight service leading into the New Year and joined a Christian Society in school. I also helped in the general housekeeping of the church.

A few months after giving my life to Jesus, I joined a church. My enthusiasm for the Lord was obvious and I believe to some extent, mis-interpreted as maturity in the christian faith. There was a church program designed to prepare us to win souls for Christ and I struggled through it. This had nothing to do with the program itself but with me. I had a burning question in me after each course of the program which I shared with no one: "How am I supposed to tell others about Jesus whom I do not know myself?" I spent time in the Word and I prayed fervently but deep within me was a vacuum. I believed what the bible said or so I thought. In reality, I had only 'received' it as truth. The Word was in my head and not in my heart. Jesus was near me and not in me; he had a part of me and not all of me.

With hindsight, I realised what the problem was. I had received Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and instead of building my relationship with him on his foundation, I had tried to build it on my 'old' christian foundation. It was as if I had been building my house and Jesus came along to show me the right and better way to build it. I was happy for the help and advice and did not mind changing a few doors or a couple of windows. In other words, re-designing was not a problem for me. However, Jesus wasn't just talking about re-construction but destruction! The old foundation, the old beliefs, the old ideas and ideals had to be done away with!

A new foundation was needed. One that is strong, reliant and pure. Jesus IS this true foundation and anything we build can only endure if we build on him. In 1 Corinthians 3:9 (NIV), apostle Paul tells us that we are God's building. In verses ten and eleven, he continues:

By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care.  For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Why is it so important that this foundation is solid? This is because the buildings that will rest on this foundation are you and I! In Ephesians 2:20-22 (NIV), we are told that we are:

 ...built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.  In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.  And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

Building on the true foundation of our faith, Jesus, will create the perfect dwelling place for God - a sanctified temple, through which the glory of God can be manifested. A true foundation of the Word of God, which is built on truth and not on feelings, fables, tradition or trends is not only a good place to begin but the ONLY place to begin. Let's get our foundations right so that we can truly reflect the glory of God.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRAYER: Dear Jesus, help me build my life on you, my true and solid foundation, so that I may be for the praise and glory of your name, Amen.
.........................................................................................

(P.S. If this article has blessed you, do share it with someone.)

Till next week, keep on walking in Christ.

Yorz-in-Christ,
Lahyorz

No comments:

Post a Comment