Wednesday, 27 February 2013

My help cometh

Hi Christoggers!

I sometimes wonder why I have to shout my children's names after calling them a number of times without response. I think it's because I think they did not hear my subtle calls! When I call and they have not responded, I simply draw the conclusion that they are not as near to me as I believe and there is a need to call 'louder'.

When we are in need of God's help, there are different expressions we can use to get his attention. David, the psalmist 'calls' upon God in Psalm 18:3 (Amplified Bible):

I will call upon the Lord, Who is to be praised...

The dictionary defines 'call' as speaking loudly, crying out with a loud voice or to request or 'command to come'. It seems to span a wide range from being calm to becoming desperate. It really then does not matter how loud but one thing is for sure - we have to open our mouths and say something! This is not the time for meditation ;-)

Calling God or crying out to God is the first step in asking for help. Yes, he knows when we need him but he will not force himself on us; we stress our need for him when we call him. In Daniel 10:12-13, an angel told Daniel that his prayer or call on God had been heard the very first time he prayed but there was a delay in the answer due to the prince of Persia. So, God DID hear him when he called. Job 14:15 recounts God's promise

You will CALL (says the Lord) and I will ANSWER you...

Even David was sure of a response in Psalm 86:7

In the day of my trouble I will CALL on You, for You will ANSWER me. (Amplified Bible)

I'm glad that we can be confident of an answer, even when it's not immediate. 

So, what happens next? God promises to help! He just doesn't say he's heard and does nothing. No, he acts. Psalm 50:15 (Amplified Bible) confirms this:


And call on Me in the day of trouble; I will DELIVER you...


So does Psalm 91:15. As we wait on this promise, how can we be reassured so that we 'faint not' but hold on? We apply the same principle as before: God says if we are in trouble, we should call, So, when we ARE in trouble, we call. He says he will answer us and our response to this would be to first of all claim Psalm 18:3

I will call upon the Lord, Who is to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies.

Psalm 55:16 - As for me, I call to God, and the Lord saves me.

Psalm 34:17 - ...the Lord delivers me from all my troubles. (NIV)

Psalm 46:1   - God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. (NIV)

As you wait for the help of God, renew your strength with such scriptures and chase away doubts.
.............................................................................................................................
PRAYER: Dear Lord, I thank you for being my strength and my shield and my Help in troubled times. I trust you and will forever praise your name, Amen.
.............................................................................................................................
(P.S. If this article has blessed you, do share it with someone.)

Yorz-in-Christ,
Lahyorz

No comments:

Post a Comment