BIBLICAL INSPIRATION

Let each one of us make it a practice to please (make happy) his neighbour for his good for his true welfare, to edify him [to strengthen him and build him up spiritually]. Rom 15:2 (Amplified Bible)

Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Becoming sensitized

Hi Christoggers!

You've probably heard the saying that we are only really hurt by those we love. If a stranger came to you and said you were stupid, it probably would mean nothing to you. On the other hand, if it were to be from someone you not only knew but also cared about, you would be certainly upset. It's not a bad thing, on the contrary, it's a good thing!

Being sensitive is not such a bad thing; it keeps us in touch with our feelings and with people. It would be problematic if it were not so: we would be blabbing our mouths and upsetting everyone because of our insensitivity. Offence is worse if it goes unrecognised. It's like burning your finger on a hot iron or having a fever and not being aware of it - it would mean that you were not functioning properly. As christians, our normality includes being sensitive, not only to God's presence but also his absence.

It's going into a shop for example to buy clothes and on hearing unsuitable music in the background, you cringe and want to run out of the shop! It's over-hearing a conversation that makes you 'plead the blood' over your ears! These are signs that you are being changed - being sensitive to godliness because of the God in you.

Last week, I found myself making a joke and though it was not rude nor 'bad' in the eyes of the world, I felt uneasy after my mouth had splattered the words before my brain could get in gear! Immediately afterwards, I remembered the bible passage about 'silly talk' in Ephesians 5:4 (Amplified Bible):

Let there be no filthiness (obscenity, indecency) nor foolish and sinful (silly and corrupt) talk, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting or becoming; but instead voice your thankfulness [to God].

It was good that I felt bad about it as opposed to just shrugging it off! Why did it bother me? It was really not a big deal! Or was it? My mind had been renewed by Ephesians 5:4 and the situation simply reminded me of whom I am becoming. You see, not all 'bad' things are horrible! When whatever we experience makes us conscious of God, we are being de-sensitized to the world and sensitized to God. Loving God means that we care about what he cares about; we are hurt by the things that would hurt him and offended by the very things he takes offence to! It's a God thing!

.........................................................................................
Dear Lord, I thank you that in my humanity, I can still feel the transforming power of your Word. May I be continually renewed so that my life can please you, Amen.
.........................................................................................
Till next week, keep on walking in Christ.

Yorz-in-Christ,
Lahyorz 

1 comment:

  1. Sensitivity to God is like breath to our nostrils. Without out we become cheap pray to our flesh and the enemy.

    ReplyDelete