Wednesday, 20 November 2013

REFLECTIONS 4: Stretched, pressed and massaged

Hi Christoggers!

The last REFLECTIONS post was here and a lot has happened since then. A pastor once told me that as you mature in God, you go through phases, each with it's own challenges. Growing in God reminds me of a body massage; he pulls you up to stretch you out, presses you down to enlarge you and then massages the knots out of your character!

There has certainly been some pulling, like when you finally stretch those muscles that have not been worked for some time. Naturally, my initial reaction was 'aaaauuuu'; I don't mind you stretching me but could you not do it at my own pace? "I know Lord, the Word you gave me this year included 'reaching out for new ground' but I thought I could do it gradually." No, not a chance! You see, when he pulls you, it's to pull you out of your comfort zone! Being better off in Egypt while suffering and smiling is not God's idea of you taking hold of your inheritance. Yes, you'll feel the pull and the pinch, the discomfort and the ache as your flesh tries to resist but you cannot stretch while sitting still!

I was just getting used to the stretching and then came the pressing. I was pleased with myself; I had a new weekly plan and tried to maximize the use of my time. Oh, did I say my time? Correction! My time that is now God's time! Sooo, like everything else I gave him, he's got new ideas, (yeah and better ones too), about getting them done. "You know Lord, there IS a season for every purpose and the cold winter season is really not the best time to request EAAAARLY morning prayers!" Yeah, tell me God doesn't have a sense of humour. "So my dear daughter, how would you train european footballers for the 2022 World Cup in hot and sunny Qatar, with an average temperature of 40°C in the cool of the day - in the mild european summer of 28°C?" Okay, okay, I get it! Pressing is pushing you beyond your limit; the enemy will not be attacking with water pistols :)).

I'm being stretched and being pressed and have the best excuses to not be so tolerant. Mmm. "In whose army? That flesh is so much alive, if it gets worked up, it could cook a family's dinner!" "Ouch! That hurt Father." "I rest my case." "I wish someone had told me it would not be easy." "Daughter, how could being transformed from where you are and who you are to where I am and who I am be easy? I never told you to go it alone - you couldn't even if you tried. This is why I sent you my Spirit to be your Comforter, Counsellor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener and Standby to help you." So, the character knots - bitterness, anger, malice, jealousy etc. that make your flesh tense up have to be massaged away so that your flesh can respond to the Spirit of God. Have you ever been able to pray when you're angry?

In the last seven months, I have learnt that the Master wants to make a masterpiece out of his creation. It's a return to the original form that was uncontaminated and yielding so that the glory of God may be revealed. We are all works in progress so let's help one another in the building of God's church, as iron sharpens iron,  

...Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ... (Ephesians 4:13-15 King James Version).

Till next week, keep walking in Christ.

Yorz-in-Christ,
Lahyorz (Funmi)  

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant post! God is making a master piece out of us......(Amen) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. Stay blessed!

      Delete
  2. I do agree that growing in God is in phases. Just when you think, you have got it right,he moves you another level with new challenges but of course, he is there to help through it all. This has made me to see God in a new light,walking with him is challenging and adventurous. Jesus rocks! Thanks for sharing this,God bless you plenty.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His grace is always sufficient! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tosin. Stay blessed!

      Delete