Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Strive for perfection

Hi Christoggers!

I attended a craft course and there I was with the pre-planned project and the ideas I had all noted down. I could see the finished piece in my mind's eye and looked forward to it's realisation. As I began the project, all seemed to be okay. Now came the step I had been looking forward to, the very thing that would make the item stand out and ??? What I had in my hand did not resemble the image I had in mind nor what I had on paper.

How did it turn out so poorly? Why did it turn out so poorly? A bit disappointed, I drove home. Sitting at the dining table later that evening, I stared into space. Still with eyes wide open, I suddenly saw a picture before me. It was of an image similar to the 'failed' project but absolutely perfect! What struck me was that as soon as I saw this picture, I knew exactly what had gone wrong with the original project. Earlier that day, I remembered looking through a magazine which explained the exact process needed to achieve the result I wanted. I had been repeatedly drawn to these pages of the magazine but did not photocopy them, as the magazine was not mine.

So, what went wrong? I had received the original image from God but not taken note of the promptings I had received earlier. It's like baking a cake; the recipe says mix A and B thoroughly before adding C. You think, it's no big deal and since they will be mixed together in the end anyway, you mix A and B and C. Instead of a cake, you end up with a pudding! There are instructions that are personally given to us by God and no matter what they sound like or how they make you feel, the way others have done it or how they now do it, if we omit or alter a step in the instructions, we change the outcome.

God told Isaac to stay back in a land which others were escaping from due to famine (Genesis 26). I can imagine he became a laughing stock whose name was probably changed to 'Stupid', 'Senseless', 'Religious Fanatic' but it could not have mattered to him. Sticking to the plan of God to the letter made him prosper as God had intended. In 1 Kings 18:43-44, the prophet Elijah said to his servant:

  “Go and look out toward the sea.” The servant went and looked, then returned to Elijah and said, “I didn’t see anything.”Seven times Elijah told him to go and look.  Finally the seventh time, his servant told him, “I saw a little cloud about the size of a man’s hand rising from the sea.”

You see, God had shown Elijah what to expect and as long as what his servant reported to have seen, (or not seen), did not resemble the image God gave Elijah, it was unacceptable. As if to make the message quite clear, the Lord used a second project, this time in my paper crafting to emphasize this. I was quick to understand this time around :)).

When what you have does not resemble the promises God has given you, don't settle for them! God does not deal in second-hand blessings; the idea that christians should be content with whatever success they achieve is a lie of the devil! The work God does through you, from being a mother to being a president or from a teacher to a professor, must reflect the excellency of God. We are children of he who assesses the work of his hands and is only satisfied when, ..."it is good!". Striving to do everything perfectly, according to the grace given to us, is a character trait of the God in us. "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (Matthew 5:48 King James Version). This scripture is for every area of our lives and we do not have the choice of opting out. We do work on our character but do not let us forget the work of our hands. How would you feel if you went to a restaurant and the waiter was very nice but the food left a bad taste in your mouth? I leave you with this 'food for thought' and till next week, keep on walking in Christ.

Yorz-in-Christ,
Lahyorz (Funmi)

2 comments:

  1. May the good God give us the grace to attain perfection in Jesus name. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Thanks for this prayer of blessing, Bolatito. Stay blessed!

      Delete